Sunday, October 18, 2009

Spinsters Are People, Too

I've started a new project. Actually, I've started MANY new projects since the last post, but this is the first project in a while that I've started for myself.

I'm going to attempt to make a sweater. It's a very straight-forward pattern with simple construction. The only issue I've had with it so far is that I chose a different brand of yarn and had to adjust the sizing.

I'm calling it my Spinster Sweater. It will be part of my new uniform of Spinsterhood. I think I'm going to start a modern-day movement. My slogan, "Spinsters Are People, Too" I'm going to knit it on dishcloths, and maybe even try my hand at a sampler or two..... And maybe I'm getting a little carried away. (Which is so far out of the realm of possibility for me that I know you are all having a hard time believing MOI could get carried away about something.) (OK, you can stop laughing.) (Seriously, stop laughing. There's a whole post here for you to read.)

Ahem.

The Spinster Sweater.

Modest beginnings, I know, but I'm putting a lot into this sweater. I'm putting all the anger, joy, frustration, hope, exhaustion, and helplessness into this sweater. This will be a sweater that will keep me warm, keep me comforted, and keep me contained. It will have countless unspoken conversations knitted into its every stitch. It will know that I love it, and that I respect it, that I believe in what it stands for, that I wish it would make smarter choices, that I hope it finds it's calling, and that it never forgets what I brought to it's life. It may contain a tear or two, as well.

It will have been snuggled upon by Booger and Lou, and will have been touched by dear friends, as they check the gauge and feel of the wool. It will be the meditation, the counting, the measuring, the control.

It's amazing what you can do with a set of knitting needles and some wool.

No comments: